Monday, March 1, 2010

Differences of Opinion .... Or, How Do You Promote Your Business?

I've come under a bit of criticism lately from some people who think they're doing me a favor.  And after all, a little "constructive criticism" isn't a bad thing, even when it comes sneaking in unsolicited.

The thing is, though, that it doesn't FEEL constructive.

I don't feel the need to beat people over the head with my business.  Is that a bad thing?   I use this blog, and Facebook, and Buzz, and Twitter mostly to connect.  And yeah, I throw in an occasional plug for my business, because that's what I do.  I sell stuff.  I sell some pretty cool stuff, actually.   But that's not who I AM, and I'd rather be who I am and make a few less sales if that's the way it's got to be.

I tend to unfollow and unfriend people who are in my face all day about their stuff.  It feels like junk mail in a social context, kind of like an insurance salesman following me around at a cocktail party telling me why I need to  BUY!  BUY! And I don't like it.  So it would be hypocritical of me to turn around and do the same thing, yes?

Everyone has their own way of doing things.  I enjoy that uniqueness and seek out the company of others who share my belief that there's more than one way to get things done.  Maybe my way doesn't suit some, and I'm ok with that.

I just wish THEY could be okay with the fact that their way doesn't suit me.

In the mean time, I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing.  Maybe to some it's not the BEST way, but hey, it works for me.

And if you'd like to take a look at some of my stuff, check out the widgets on the right of the page :)  See, I DO know how to promote, in my own way.



1 comment:

  1. Doing it your way is the best way to do it! Be you not who people think you should be.

    I happen to like this crazy Cat and let me tell ya she gets around and gets noticed! Crap this cat sell more than I do! So she must being doing something right :)

    ReplyDelete